Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 6 of 29 days

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17258130

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As a member of my church, service to others is really just a part of every day life. So, as I sit and contemplate service rendered, a lot of the service I do, is stuff that is just part of my normal routine.

As my service action yesterday one of the things I did was to go visiting teaching. Visiting teaching is done once a month in our church, or more often as our sisters need us. We go as a pair of women that are matched together. Every so often our districts change so that we get the opportunity to serve with and serve other members, so that we get new opportunities. My companion and I visit three sisters.

We usually visit with them for 30-60 min. each month. Yesterday morning we were able to visit with all three in one morning. That is sometimes hard to do, to schedule around five womens schedules but we were able to do it. When we visit, we access their needs, share a short lesson on the gospel, share a testimony and end with a prayer. It is a highlight of my month. It is an opportunity to share our love of the gospel together.

We also come together at the drop of a hat it there is a need in our ward such as: a death, birth, sickness, etc. You can expect that women in the ward would drop everything to help in any desperate situations. We take in dinners, help with small children, help clean a house, provide our time to sit with you by your hospital bed, bring in groceries to your home, drive other children to lessons, etc. I have done all of these things and more but it is just something that I grew up watching my mother do, so they are just something I have always known I need to do. Both my mom and dad who are still alive were my greatest examples of service.

I still have early memories of my dad and brothers grabbing shovels early in the morning to shovel every front walk on our side and the opposite side of the street on our block, which was around 50 homes. It is just something they would do. When my mom would make cookies, we always knew 1/2 would be going to another family! I am grateful for the great examples of service that lived in my own home!!!

1 comment:

  1. That is so great you are focusing on service! As couples growing up in younger wards, like apartment wards, you don't see service much and visiting teaching is spotty at best. I look forward to the time I'll be in a more set location in a home ward, that I know we'll be there for a while and can look forward to helping and receiving. It is nice to know the church is set up that way, it's just unfortunate it doesn't always spread everywhere. I'm glad at least we have family close by.

    ReplyDelete

Followers