You have heard the saying, “When it rains it pours!” Well, that seems to be the theme around here lately. With all the heavy rain last week, we are swimming in wet carpet. Here we have removed all the wet carpet and wet padding but there is still some worry that it may be more than that. At the rental house, the water damage was less but less cared for. The renters want us to replace all the basement carpet! I know that as the Landlord it is our responsibility. This is not the first time they have asked for new carpet. At the bottom of the stairs, they have ripped out the carpet because they could not get it clean.
The problem is that they don’t take care of what they have. The house once they leave will be in need of major cleaning and repair. I have a really hard time replacing carpet in a house where I know they will not be taking care of it!!! Yes, they have been living there for over 5 years and yes it is the original carpet but I also know that it will be garbage material within the next 5 years.
I have been living with the same carpet in this house since we moved here. One friend that looked at buying this house before us, said that she could not live one day in this house without changing out the carpet. I have been living here coming up on 14 years and the carpet in the 3 rooms that got flooded were still the original carpet. We have been doing one or two rooms at a time as we can afford them.
Now we are replacing carpet in three rooms, not cheap! The rental house needs the shingles replaced. I knew that. We got a $6,000.00 Insurance check in January to replace the roof after the terrible Centerville wind disaster. That will not cover the entire shingling job. We have been waiting for the weather to get warmer, so the shingles will seal properly. Time has run out and they need to be replaced now. On top of all of that, the renters want us to replace all the carpet in the basement! Ken told them yes! I am overwhelmed with all the financial needs right now and don’t know how to stop worrying about it or how to help! P.S. We owe $4,000.00 in taxes!
I am crying “Uncle, uncle, uncle!” Please stop the bleeding! They say things come in threes. I have had my three!
There, maybe that will help me!!!
Last summer I had to have two root canals at the same time, our washer AND dryer pooped out, the garbage disposal broke, the a/c in our van broke... all within about a month. Good times. I know a little of what you're feeling, very frustrating. But, it will pass, you'll get it all figured out, and in a year you'll look back and go, "Hey remember last year when all that crappy stuff happened?", and it will seem like a distant memory. And, it's good to vent. Helps the ol' psyche. :) Good luck with everything, I feel for ya!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Katrina! I am happy to know there are others with their pants rolled up and we roll through the dirt! lol
ReplyDeleteOh Debbie! I hear ya!! It sounds like things are pouring right now. I hope they get better soon. Is there any way to get used carpet? I'm pretty sure my parents got some used carpet in our rec room in Michigan. I am not sure how much carpet you need for the rental basement. You are amazing! I'm sure you are frustrated. Take some time for yourself if you can!! We love ya!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Cami! I talked with your mom and dad on a conference call last week and they said the same thing about using used carpet! I have never heard of that! I was able to find some carpet that cost $1.22 a yard. With that cost it makes it affordable although it is more money than we have right now. We were able to put it on a 18 months, no interest! It loosens the worry! Love you Cami! Are you in an apartment! How is the weather and do you love the green! What else do you love about there?
DeleteWow, you wrote that reply forever ago! Sorry I didn't see it :) We are in an apartment and we love it. I don't think we'll be getting a house anytime in the next few years - especially with Derek getting his MBA (My goal is to be out of school debt before we put money down on a house). I don't mind the weather at all, and the green is beautiful. Although there are MANY great things about Seattle, my favorite thing about Seattle is the friends we've made here. Because I grew up in Michigan (away from all of my Utah family), our home ward became my extended family. Since I moved from there, I haven't had/felt that. For the first time since Michigan, I feel at home in our ward. They wholeheartedly adopted our family, and have shown so much love, support and friendship to me, Derek and Zoey. I'm devastated to leave such a great ward/great friends. I am excited for Derek and what the change will mean for our family (like me being able to stay at home with our kids!) Seattle has been an amazing place for us, and we will always remember it fondly :)
ReplyDeleteSo Debbie, you have been such a good blog reader of mine, and I just read your blog. I am hoping at this point you got new carpet for you and just the used carpet for your renters. It is difficult to spend money on people that don't appreciate it or care for what you have done for them. Been there, done that. Hope things are going better now that it is almost 9 months down the road. Love you. Eileen
ReplyDelete