




We spent this past week on vacation. When I say we, I mean myself, Ken, Sarah and Avery. This is the smallest crew we have taken on vacation in 20 years! Spencer works a full time job where he didn’t feel like he should ask for any more time off. He works at Mill Hollow as a cabin counselor. He usually works Monday through Friday. He eats and sleeps there and comes home for the weekends. It has been a good experience for him. I think it will help him to be more self reliant, which is good before a mission. The kids that come up for camp have all been elementary students. It is run by the Granite School Dist. Some of the things that he has had to learn to deal with are boys wetting the bed, throwing up, boys with home sickness, etc. I am glad that he is getting this opportunity. He is also starting to save money which is a good thing for him. I think he is finally making enough money that he doesn’t feel like he needs to spend it all to enjoy life. I think as parents that we have worked quite hard at teaching our children how to manage money but when it comes right down to it, it is up to them. I am happy to see his savings account grow!
We left last Monday and drove through to Cedar City. The kids swam with Ken and ate dinner and went to bed. We got off early and drove to Zion’s National Park. Our goal for the day was to hike the Narrows. We caught the shuttle and didn’t make any extra stops. heading for the last stop of the shuttle. The kids kept asking me if I planned to hike the Narrows I answered yes! Over the past several years, I have not been able to do a lot of things. My body just kept falling, and falling apart to the point where I wasn’t doing any of the extra things, just the necessary things.
When we started walking in the river I realized that this was going to be a challenge. I think that I did pretty good for someone that has not done much strenuous activity for four years. Sarah stayed by my side and stopped me from falling several times. I stayed with them for about an hour up the river. We had talked about where we would meet if we got separated. I told them I was heading back. Sarah and Avery both told me they were proud of me and glad that I came with them. They went on for another hour and a half. I got myself back down the river and the trail, to the shuttle and back to the Lodge. I was exhausted! I got something to eat at the Lodge and then found a couch and fell asleep for an hour and a half. I went outside and took off my socks and shoes to dry them out. The family returned about half an hour later. I was glad because dark cloud were beginning to form. I notice on the news yesterday that they said that there was a flash flood in the narrows. I am glad we all made it back safely!
We found a place to pick up a pizza and ate in the van as we traveled on to St. George. We stopped by to visit our niece Brooke, her husband Steve and their son Peyton. This is the first time we have been to their home since they moved. It is a beautiful home and great company. Peyton warmed up to us and he is so sweet! We drove into St. George and stayed the night.
We were all tired and woke up just a half an hour before the in hotel breakfast ended. We were rushing to get out before check out time. We drove on to Las Vegas. We had booked a room there for three days and two nights for $189.00. It was a really nice place. It did not have a Casino and there was no smoking allowed except in certain areas outside. It was nice! It was a two bedroom condo. It had two bathrooms, three t.v.’s, a full kitchen with dishes and accessories, and a kitchenette in the kids side, a jetted tub, a queen size bed, a king size bed and a pull out couch and a washer and dryer combo. We felt like we had plenty of room to get around.
Our time there seemed to fly by. We had tickets for Thursday night to see the Blue Man Group. That was a lot of fun! It was nice to be in Vegas and go to see a show that was good clean fun! There were plenty of times that all of the dark and bad things about Vegas just slap you in the face. The show was not one of those times.
When we drove out Friday, we were all ready to be home. We spent 8 hours on the road. We got home late in the evening but it just felt so good to be home. It is nice to get away but it is so good to be home. Spencer got home about two hours before us so it all worked out just right. I had made sure the house was cleaned before we left and when we got home we unloaded the van and I started doing wash. It was nice to go to bed with everything washed, cleaned and put away. In the morning we just had to put a few things away that we left out to dry. I am so lucky to have a husband and children that help Ken and I to work as a team. I cannot imagine if I had to do all the work by myself. We stopped a few blocks from home and filled up the gas tank and cleaned the van. I will probably vacuum it tomorrow but I do not feel overwhelmed. Yeah!
I talked with Nate a hour or so ago. He forgot we were out of town and came by wondering where we were. He and McKell got settled downstairs and started a movie thinking we would be home soon. Instead they were surprised as was Candice when she came down the stairs. They surprised each other. I had Candice come do some painting while we were gone. I painted two coats on the walls in Avery’s room and Candice came to fow it. Is that how you spell that? She also did a finish coat on my red wall in my dining room. They both look so good. The only problem now is that Avery’s carpet does not match the walls. I ordered enough carpet to do his room and the hallway. Slowly I hope to have matching carpet in the whole house. A couple of years ago we did the upstairs and the stairs. They did not have the same carpet this time. I think the carpet I picked will look good. Now I just hope that I can put down new carpet in the rest of the basement before this carpet is no longer available.
We have lived in this house now for 12 years. Every time we do something new I feel like we are making it our home. Once all the sea foam carpet is gone I think I will feel like it is our home. Sometimes I envy people who move into a house and have it painted, carpeted, all new furnishings, etc. etc. etc. Then I remember how much money they must of had to spend to do it and I remember how grateful I am that Ken is so good at budgeting money and keeping us comfortable financially even in these difficult financial times.
We have Nate’s wedding coming up in 2 weeks. When it is a 7 week engagement, the time flies by rapidly. Wish us luck!
We saw the Blue Man Group when we were in Vegas in February. It was so weird and funny- we really liked it. Looks like you guys had a great time. Congrats on your hike, that's awesome! Last but not least, good luck with the wedding!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you made it back to the Lodge,,,that Narrows hike is tough. I think the hardest part was the 1 mile riverside trail back to the shuttle. I was dying!
ReplyDeleteIt is fun to have a smaller crew, I've enjoyed those times too. I can't believe how hard it was to get everyone together even for just one day.