Those who have missionaries serving or have served as missionaries, know missionary blessings. We received missionary blessings yesterday. Our city was hit with 8 hours of sustained winds of 100 MPH and wind gusts of up to 106 MPH. We were without power for 17 1/2 hours in 30 degree temperatures. The blessings? Very little damage! Homes around us and around our home we rent out lost shingles, fences, trees, siding...etc., etc., etc. The home we live in sustained no damage that we have been able access. Our rental home no longer has any fences. When we bought the lot, it was completely fenced. So, we have never seen it open like it is. We share fences with 5 other homes, now it is completely open. Wow, weird! The wind took down the big cherry tree in the backyard. I have fond memories of our children climbing in that tree. With the fences, we lost a 20 year old grape vine. A very large and stalky vine. We will see what grows in the spring. Except for the inconvenience of no heat or power, we walked away virtually unscathed. The homes are in tact, the neighborhood is a mess! We were blessed with physical safety!
Another recent blessing was that of a job. I have worked in the school system for the past eight years in various capacities. Last year I took on just a 3 hour a day job as a teaching assistant. Even though it was less hours than I wanted, it was consistent work. When I work as a substitute, it is hard to make plans. I never knew what would come tomorrow. With this job, I can make other plans.
At the end of last year, the Principal told me that she would not know if she could hire me back on, because of funding cuts. She said that she would get back to me in early August. When late August came around and I had not heard back from her, I started wondering what to do. A couple of days before school started I got a call. She said she could offer me 1 1/2 hours of work a day!
With that kind of offer, it seemed I would need to go back to being a substitute. The principal offered four teaching assistants 1 1/2 hr. a day. Slowly but surely the other assistants turned her down. The outcome? I was offered 5 hrs. a day, four days a week. I love the kids, I love the people I work with, I love the school and it is nice to have a guaranteed income that I can plan around. I love those missionary blessings!
Thank you to those of you who worried about us, checked in on us, offered us a place to stay, etc! It is great to be warm again! Yesterday I had a hard time staying warm. Thanks to a car, I was able to warm up occasionally in the car. There were not gas stations or fast food places open. All of the traffic lights were out which made traveling difficult. Power lines were down, especially on Main street which made travel dangerous. Flying projectiles made being outside difficult and dangerous too! I am thankful for a good nights sleep and a warm house and a wonderful family!
Wow, I'm so glad you're all safe and sound and that your job worked out so well. Wonderful blessings!
ReplyDelete